Dentist also known as a Dental Surgeon is a health care practitioner who specializes in the diagnosis, prevention and treatment of diseases and conditions of the oral cavity. The dentist’s supporting team aids in providing oral health services. The dental team includes dental assistants, dental hygienists, dental technicians and in some states dental therapists.
- Endodontics - Root canal therapy and study of diseases of the dental pulp.
- Oral and maxillofacial pathology - The study, diagnosis, and sometimes the treatment of oral and maxillofacial related diseases.
- Oral and maxillofacial radiology - The study and radiology interpretation of oral and maxillofacial diseases.
- Oral and maxillofacial surgery - Extractions, implants and maxillofacial surgery which also includes correction of congenital facial deformities.
- Orthodontics and dentofacial Orthopedic - The straightening of teeth and modification of midface and mandibular growth.
- Periodontology (Periodontics) - Study and treatment of diseases of the gums (non-surgical and surgical) as well as placement and maintenance of dental implants.
- Pediatric dentistry (Formerly Pedodontics) - Dentistry for children.
- Prosthodontics - Dentures, bridges and dental implants(restoring/placing). Some prosthodontists further their training in "oral and maxillofacial prosthodontics" which is the discipline concerned with the replacement of missing facial structures, such as ears, eyes and noses etc.